World famous groundhog Punxsutawney Phil, pulled from his burrow in Pennsylvania, saw his shadow February 2, 2018. Six more weeks of winter weather.
In Vermont, Pudding Hill Pete agreed, according to Gary Moore in the Caledonian Record.
According to legend, if a furry rodent casts a shadow on Groundhog Day, we can expect six more weeks of winter-like weather. No shadow? Expect spring-like temperatures in the next six weeks.
Either way, spring is on the way! It officially arrives at 12:15 p.m. on Tuesday, March 20, with the Vernal Equinox.
Here’s our collection of children’s books about Groundhog Day. Come in and check them out!
- Brownie Groundhog and the February Fox by Susan Blackaby
- Go to Sleep, Groundhog! by Judy Cox
- Gregory’s Shadow by Don Freeman
- Groundhog Day by Gail Gibbons
- Punxsutawney Phyllis by Susanna Leonard Hill
- Gretchen Groundhog, It’s Your Day by Abby Levine
- Groundhog Day by Amy Margaret
- Fluffy Meets the Groundhog by Kate McMullan
- The Groundhog Day Book of Facts and Fun by Wendie Old
- Double Trouble Groundhog Day by Bethany Roberts
- Grumpy Groundhog by Maureen Wright