Library Assistant – Teen Space Coordinator
Milton Public Library has an immediate opening for a part-time library assistant for teens. Responsibilities include planning and hosting our Teen Space, which provides a place for young adults to socialize and participate in activities. Other duties include planning special events for teens, and providing customer service for all library patrons.
Hours are 3 – 8 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and 8:45 a.m. – 4 p.m. (2 p.m. June through August) alternating Saturdays.
This position requires a bachelor’s degree, library or education experience with teens, proficiency with computers, great customer service, and attention to detail. Collection development experience is a plus.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Susan Larson at firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 3. No phone calls, please.
- Working under the supervision of the library director, plans for and supervises a teen space in the library’s community room, providing a place for young adults to socialize while participating in activities.
- Plans and hosts special events for teens.
- Provides collection development and collection merchandizing for the young adult collection.
- Creates fliers, brochures, reports, and spreadsheets, as needed, to promote and report on teen activities and resources.
- Serves library patrons at the circulation desk, in the library, on the phone, and at special events.
- Utilizes the online catalog (KOHA) to search for material, check material in and out, and renew material.
- Assists patrons with use of technology, including computers, copiers, email, databases, OverDrive eBooks and eAudio, and scanning.
- Registers new patrons, issues library cards, and updates patron records.
- Provides readers’ advisory.
- Completes interlibrary loan request forms.
- Calls patrons about holds, overdues, and program registrations.
- Empties the book drops.
- Shelves materials.
- Checks shelves for overdue and lost materials.
- Processes new materials and spine labels.
- Takes care of opening and closing procedures.
- Attends monthly staff meetings.
- Subs for other staff members, when possible.
- Supports library policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Library or education experience with teens.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Publisher.
- Adept with computers and AV equipment.
- Basic knowledge of the Dewey Decimal System.
- Ability to write and edit.
- Skilled with social media.
- Attention to detail.
- Problem solving.
- Strong interpersonal written and oral communication skills.
Library work is physical, requiring long periods of sitting and standing, bending and reaching, and carrying and pushing. This position requires the ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
There are no benefits with this position.
Milton Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.