Update October 10, 2018
Thank you for your interest in a job with Milton Public Library. This position has been filled.
Library Assistant, Teen Space Coordinator
Milton Public Library has an immediate opening for a part-time library assistant. Responsibilities include coordinating a weekly teen space; serving library patrons in the library and on the phone; providing guidance for use of computers and online resources; posting to websites and social media; creating fliers, brochures, and reports using Microsoft Office; and other duties as assigned.
Hours are 4 – 8 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, and 8:45 a.m. – 4 p.m. (2 p.m. June through August) alternating Saturdays. Sub hours may also be available. This position requires a bachelor’s degree, library experience, computer skills, great customer service — especially with teens — and attention to detail.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Susan Larson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Open until filled.
- Serves patrons at the circulation desk, in the library, and on the phone.
- Utilizes the online catalog to search for material, check material in and out, and renew material.
- Assists patrons with use of technology, including computers, copiers, email, databases, OverDrive eBooks and eAudio, and scanning.
- Locates materials and information for patrons.
- Registers new patrons, and issues library cards.
- Updates patron records.
- Provides readers’ advisory.
- Completes interlibrary loan request forms.
- Calls patrons about holds, overdues, and program registrations.
- Empties the book drops.
- Shelves materials.
- Checks shelves for overdue and lost materials.
- Processes new materials and spine labels.
- Takes care of opening and closing procedures.
- Attends monthly staff meetings.
- Subs for other staff members, when possible.
- Supports library policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Working under the supervision of the Youth Services Director, plans for and supervises a weekly one-hour teen space in the library’s community room, providing a place for young adults to socialize while participating in activities.
- Creates fliers, brochures, reports, and spreadsheets, as needed.
- Posts events, information, photographs, and video on social media and websites.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Library experience
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Publisher
- Adept with computers and AV equipment
- Basic knowledge of the Dewey Decimal System
- Ability to write and edit
- Skilled with social media
- Photography and iPhone videography are helpful
- Attention to detail
- Problem solving
- Strong interpersonal written and oral communication skills
Library work is physical, requiring long periods of sitting and standing, bending and reaching, and carrying and pushing. This position requires the ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
There are no benefits with this position.
Milton Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.